Monday, September 10, 2007

So I’m sitting in my apartment watching our version of VH1, one of the two channels that we get in English (and when I saw English, I mean sometimesss they’ll play a music video in English, but not necessarily), so I figured it’s a good time to prepare a post for when I get to use the internet tomorrow updating everyone on what’s been going on.
I’m still loving Budapest. It’s gorgeous. I feel like I’m starting to get my bearings on how to get around, but at the same time there’s still so much to discover. Last weekend one of the other girls and I decided to just get lost on purpose. We saw some really cool things, like finding the local amusement park, which was basically all red with rust.
2007/09/10
Okay, I got distracted by a movie night with my roommates. Now I’m at school in the office for my program. I just got done with my first day of classes (and it’s only 2:30!) I started off with a Hungarian History class, which was really interesting. The teacher seemed less concerned with dates and names than trying to teach us the concepts and what has led to making the country what it is today. Then I took a class on European Integration and Security, dealing with the transitions that joining the EU is causing and the ways of dealing with the problems that are arising as a result. I was a little scared of that one after my torturous International Relations class last semester, but I think that this one will be cool. It deals a lot more with policy making, which is good for my Social Policy & Practice major. Then I had Hungarian class with a new teacher, but she’s really nice and young and helpful. Hungarian classes seem less about perfection in the language and more about helping us get by around the city.
So about my apartment. I love it, it’s probably the nicest place of my own that I’ll live in for the next 5 to 10 years. First off, the location is awesome. It’s like a 25 minute commute from school, but it’s a nice one. I only have to walk about two blocks to a tram stop, then the tram takes me straight to school. The ride is gorgeous too, it’s right along the river. I live right next to Margaret Island, which is an island in the middle of the river that has running trails, cafes, baths, and just a really peaceful park. I’m on the Pest side, which is more metropolitan. I’m about two blocks away from the river on a really main street, with tons of restaurants (24 hour gyros!), shops, groceries, and cafes. It’s right by the train station and the mall, and an easy location to get almost anywhere. Also I’m right next door to a crrrrazy underground bar with a karaoke room, a retro dance room, a hard rock room, among others, plus their own beer for only 150 forint (about 186 forint=$1) during happy hour. Niiice. I live with two other girls (at the moment). The apartment building is really nice, we have a big courtyard when you walk in. Our actual apartment has huge high ceilings and big rooms. There’s a big common room, a big bedroom with two double beds that I’m sharing with another girls, a really nice kitchen, a dining room, and a small single bedroom. However, one of the girls I’m living with has been superrrr homesick and as of now is going home on Thursday L
The past week we’ve been having orientation stuff and 3 hours of intensive Hungarian class a day. My favorite day was probably yesterday (Sunday). I went with my roommates and one other girl to the baths. They have beautiful Turkish public baths here. You pay about $12 to get in and once you get in you can go to a whole bunch of different baths with mineral waters all at different temperatures. Then there are saunas. It’s incredibly relaxing and quite the experience. It was a gorgeous day outside too, so we spent some time in the park.
Okay, I’m going to go explore and find somewhere that I can post this. Lots of love from Hungary!
<3 ali

2 comments:

Erin said...

Found your blog from your dad's - so many memories of when I studied in Spain! The techno, the gyros for drunk food (big difference from pizza shuttle!) and the tv. I got the most homesick watching simpsons in Spanish. lol. Keep exploring & enjoying yourself!

Meggiesss said...

oh my god you have no idea how much i miss you. time is going by sooo slowly here. and i'm totally living vicariously through because i desparately wish i had gone abroad. it sounds like your life is amaaaaaazing!! miss youuu and loveeee you!!