Tuesday, November 27, 2007

boldog hálaadás! (happy thanksgiving!)

Thanksgiving in Budapest, even though it did bring up some homesickness for most of us, ended up being almost everything a Thanksgiving should be. Our group headed to the Marriot for a $45 buffet (CIEE paid for half of it, luckily.) A lot of our professors joined us, as well as our director and assistant director. The appetizers alone were enough for a whole mean – caramelized pumpkin soup, venison, buschetta, salad, brie, to name a few. After binging on all of that, we of course had the traditional Thanksgiving food and then some – turkey, ham, salmon, green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing and so much more. We definitely got our fix of American food cravings for a bit. Dessert of course had pumpkin pie, which was accompanied by things like chocolate fondue, apple tortes, gingerbread cookies, and Hungarian pastries. I have probably never been more full in my life.

Even though my family was definitely missed, especially since it was my first Thanksgiving away from home, it was an incredible and unforgettable meal. Our group has come together to form it’s own dysfunctional family, and it was nice being with most of them, sharing stories and incredible food. It made me realize how much I’ll miss everyone when this is all said and done.

This Thanksgiving I was thankful for the incredible opportunity I’ve had being here with these incredible people. Though it’s definitely not the normal setting for a Thanksgiving feast, I’m thankful for my Hungarian Thanksgiving.
<3 ali


pics from the recent times - updated
http://tulane.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069745&l=bdb69&id=2808002

No comments: